Here’s a potted biography, with a chess flavour:
Full name: Arthur John Roycroft, always addressed as John, often referred to as AJR.
- Born 25vii1929 at 252 Ealing Road, Wembley.
- Second of three brothers. No sisters.
- Father (Benjamin Francis Roycroft, born in Killarney in 1896) worked in the Bank of England, finishing as their ‘Agent’ in Southampton in 1950s.
- Married Betty Webb at Hampstead parish church 17vi1961.
- Two children: Jonathan (b. 1962) and Katherine (b.1965).
- Tower House (Leigh-on-Sea)
- Brighton College Preparatory, (day boy, but boarder for the summer term of 1940)
- Llanrhaiadr Elementary
- Denbigh County (co-educational)
- Sheen County (boys)
- Malvern College (1943-1948)
- (national service: 22033509 private, driver class 3)
- Trinity College Dublin (1949-1953: II/1 honours degree in French and German Languages and Literature).
- The London Assurance (1 King William Street, EC4) 1954-1961.
- IBM 1961-1987 (early retirement).
Accepted into membership of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
- Learned chess aged ten.
- Fascination with the endgame began in 1942.
- Have won ‘best game’ and ‘brilliancy’ prizes, but by far the most memorable game was win against GM Laszlo Szabo, in a simul at The Gambit in the City of London 10i1948, following the Hungarian master’s triumph at Hastings.
- Met Harold Lommer in 1955.
- FIDE title of International Judge (endgame studies) awarded 1959.
- Founded EG in 1965, chief editor for 100 issues.
- Some self-published titles are under the imprint Chess Endgame Consultants & Publishers.
- Studies composed and published: ca.12.